We always have a big jar of this in the kitchen. It’s so easy to make that you will never want to buy store bought granola again! We eat it with milk for breakfast; teamed with vanilla bean yoghurt and berries; or on its own by the handful while passing the jar.
Everyone I have served this to loves it and begs for the recipe. We mix it up by adding things like slivered almonds and chopped macadamias. The variations are endless but the outcome is always the same… delicious!
- 3 cups rolled oats (not quick oats)
- 3 tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried fruit (I use a mix of currants, blueberries & cherries)
- 1/2 cup pepita seeds (or chopped raw nuts)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and place a rack in the middle.
- Combine the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, pepitas, coconut and salt in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, pour in the maple syrup, oil and vanilla and stir to combine. Pour the liquid over the oat mixture and stir until the oats are thoroughly coated.
- Spread the mixture in a thin, even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, then stir and continue baking for between 5 to 15 minutes, checking regularly, until the granola is very light golden brown,
- Place the baking sheet on a wire rack and cool the granola to room temperature, stirring occasionally. The granola will start to harden as it cools.
- Add the fruit to the mixture and toss to combine.
- Store the granola in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.