These are quick and easy to whip up and are a real crowd pleaser. We like to eat these crispy coins with an icy cold beer or cider. Best enjoyed with a generous sprinkling of sea salt flakes and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- 3 large zucchinis, sliced into coins
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 1/2 cups chilled light beer
- salt + freshly ground black pepper
- vegetable oil, to deep fry
- sea salt flakes + lemon, to serve
- Place flour in a bowl, add the egg and stir to combine. Gradually whisk in the beer until the batter is smooth. Season with salt & pepper. Cover and rest in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Add enough vegetable oil to a medium saucepan for deep frying. Heat over a high heat to reach 190 degrees celsius.
- Dip zucchini coins into the batter to coat and drain off excess batter. Deep fry in batches for 3 to 4 minutes or until crispy and golden.
- Transfer to plate lined with paper towel. Serve with sprinkling of sea salt flakes and a good squeeze of fresh lemon. Alternatively, serve with tzatziki dip.