This chicken pot pie is oozing with creamy, dreamy, cheesy goodness. The Camembert placed on top of the filling melts and flavours the pie as it bakes. For a less indulgent pie we omit the Camembert and play around with the filling by adding mushrooms, bacon and various herbs.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 750 g chicken thighs, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 60 g butter
- 1 large leek, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tsp chicken stock powder
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup milk, plus extra for brushing
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 100 g camembert cheese, sliced into 4 pieces
- salt + pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan, add chicken and cook until browned. Set aside and wipe out frying pan.
- Place pan back on the heat, add butter and melt. Add leek, garlic and thyme; cook gently until leeks are soft.
- Add flour and cook gently for 1 minute. Add wine and reduce for 30 seconds, add the milk and stock powder and stir until sauce is smooth. Place chicken into the sauce, add the peas, season with salt + pepper. Bring sauce to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Take off the heat and cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius fan forced. Fill individual pie dishes with cooled chicken mix. Pop a piece of cheese over the top of the mixture. Cut 4 lids out of the puff pastry and lay on top of each pie. Brush with milk, sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Turn heat down to 160 degrees celsius and bake for a further 20 minutes until pastry is golden and cooked through.