This beautiful rich stew is seriously delicious and so versatile. We serve it over creamy polenta or with buttery mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables or as an individual pie topped with golden puff pastry. We also change it up by omitting the mushrooms and thyme and adding celery, carrot and rosemary.
- 1 kg diced beef
- 1/4 cup seasoned plain flour
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- 150 g bacon, sliced
- 1 large brown onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 200 g button mushrooms
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups beef stock
- few sprigs of fresh thyme
- salt + pepper to season
- Toss beef in seasoned flour, shake of excess.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat and cook beef in batches until well browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onion and cook for 3 minutes, add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add red wine to pan, cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, stock, bacon and thyme. Return the onion, garlic and beef and any juices back to the pan.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes then add mushrooms to the pan and cook for another 30 minutes or until beef is very tender. Season with salt and pepper.