Fresh, moist and light; this Lemon Yoghurt Cake is our saviour when entertaining unexpected visitors. The ingredients are basic and always on hand making this our favourite go to recipe. A versatile little number, we sometimes omit the lemon, add 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and spike the cake with a generous handful of raspberries. For a tangier version feel free to use greek yoghurt or thick natural yoghurt. Yum!
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- finely grated lemon rind of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup thick vanilla yoghurt
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius. Add oil, eggs, lemon rind, lemon juice, yoghurt and sugar to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Sift over flour and stir until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a well-greased 24cm non-stick bundt tin and bake for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to stand in the tin for 5 minutes.
- To make the lemon drizzle, mix to combine the sugar, lemon juice and boiling water.
- Carefully turn the cake out onto a cake stand and spoon over the icing while the cake is warm.