Delicately spiced, this beautiful pumpkin bread is sweet and tender. We love the contrast of the bright orange bread studded with the rustic green pepitas. We like to eat this still warm from the oven smeared with butter or toasted with butter and honey. Freezes great too!
- 400g butternut or kent pumpkin, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp pepitas
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Grease and line loaf pan with baking paper.
- Steam pumpkin until tender, cool then mash pumpkin until smooth. *You will need 1 cup of mashed pumpkin for this recipe.
- Combine flour, sugar, ginger and mixed spice into a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs, oil and milk into a jug. Pour into flour mixture and add pumpkin. Use a wooden spoon to stir until just combined. Pour into prepared baking tin and smooth the surface. Sprinkle with the pepitas.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.