Buttery and sweet, these little cut out shortbread are seriously too cute! We occasionally play around with the mixture by adding some finely grated lemon or orange rind.
- 65g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- generous pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees celsius. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and 1/4 cup icing sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Add flour and salt and beat until just blended.
- Transfer dough to a large piece of plastic wrap and press into a disk. Cover dough with another piece of plastic wrap and roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Place wrapped dough on another baking sheet and chill until firm (20 to 30 minutes).
- Transfer wrapped cookie dough to work surface; remove top sheet of plastic wrap. Using a 2-2 1/2 inch heart shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour, cut out cookies and place evenly apart on the lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until just golden.
Makes 16 cookies (depending on size of cookie cutter)