Light in texture yet rich in flavour, this chocolate mousse is a decadent dessert that will satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth! We love ours served simply with ruby red raspberries or topped with whipped cream and a sprinkling of toasted walnuts. For an adults version add a couple of tablespoons of Baileys Irish Cream to the mix.
- 200g good quality dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 25g butter
- 3 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup thickened cream
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Use a metal spoon to stir the egg yolks and vanilla into the chocolate mixture. Don’t over stir, or the chocolate will harden.
- Use an electric beater to beat cream in a bowl until soft peaks form. We are looking for the cream to just cling to the beaters when you lift them.
- Gently fold half the cream into the chocolate mixture until it is almost combined. Fold in the remaining cream.
- Use an electric beater to beat egg whites in a dry, clean bowl until soft peaks form.
- Fold half the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining egg white. Spoon into glasses and cover with cling wrap. Place in fridge for 3 hours to set.